Friday, March 3, 2023

Eli Lilly caps insulin at $35 a month

Over 37 million Americans live with diabetes. Roughly eight million of them need insulin to live. That essential medication can cost more than $1,000 a month, until now. 

We all need food and water to survive. For diabetics like Michelle Caley – insulin is just as important.

“Makes me feel like I have more energy, it makes me feel like I rest better at night," said Caley.

Insulin is a hormone bodies create. It turns food into energy, but for people with diabetes, their body either doesn’t create enough insulin or simply can’t make it.

“It affects my whole life, my sleep, energy, focus," said Caley. 

The cost of insulin isn’t cheap. For Caley, the price tag is $2800 a month.

“It was $2800 a month out of pocket. Well, what do I do? Pay the house payment or groceries or my meds," she said. 

Marc Ertz, a pharmacist at Gundersen Health System says there’s a reason behind it.

“There’s three companies right now that have a market monopoly," he said. 

Eli Lilly, one of the largest drug manufacturers, is now capping the cost of vial insulin at $35 a month. Ertz says this will help make medicine more affordable.

“Most people that are diabetic spend seven times more than the average patient," he said. 

Ertz says while the cap is a step in the right direction, it could have been done sooner.

“It’s a little late. Look at how great we are for lowering the price, but this should have been done 10-15 years ago," he said. 

Caley says she hopes other drug manufacturers follow Eli Lilly’s footsteps.

“It’s not my choice and I can’t help that a portion of my body doesn’t work right," she said. 

Source: Click Here For Story Source Lacrosse WI WKBT News8000

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to News U Can Trust

President Joe Biden Drops Out Of The Election This Year But Will Finish His Remaining Term As President

  President Joe Biden is dropping out of the 2024 presidential election but will remain in office to complete his first term. The 81-year-ol...